Monday, March 18, 2019

Jamaica Day 1: The Beginning of The End


Walking into Houston Hobby Airport, it was good to see the people I would be spending the next two weeks of my time with. Though it is my second time coming to Jamaica, I am still unsure of the experiences that await me. This trip will be my final trip with Post Oak, it is an overwhelming yet exciting feeling.


Our travel to The Good Hope Plantation went by in the blink of an eye. Our walk into The Coach House was truly breathtaking. Though it is my second time coming here, this house is still so unique, serene, and beautiful. Furthermore, we spent much time settling in and enjoying each others company. We played board games, ping pong, read books, swam in the infinity pool, and got to talk.

Our first seminar of the trip was in my opinion the highlight of our day. From freshman to seniors, it was interesting to see what everyone had to say. I personally spoke about self growth, some spoke about their potential challenges, and some about physical as well as mental stress. What is important to me is to see how everyone faces their challenges and how everyone grows from this trip, what they learn, and how they react to new experiences.

Additionally, change is extremely important in our lives, and unfortunately many are scared of change and some can't bear the idea of it. This trip introduces what change feels like: no social media, no television, no fast food, no air conditioning, no going into your room at 3:30 pm and being alone for the rest of the day. Introverts face a daily challenge of socializing for the majority of the day, and extroverts may need to learn to be more aware of others.

Today was the start to the ending of my time here at Post Oak, but for some it may be the beginning. Jamaica presents everyone with change, challenges, and new opportunities for growth. I hope everyone uses the experiences here in Jamaica for self or group growth. It has been an amazing four years of growth for me, and I can't wait to take this final step into a new chapter of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment